Re: [Amc-list] Grand Unified Brake List

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" TomJ wrote:
"
" -----------------------
" Disc brakes: basically there's K-H which are fine but rotors
" are expensive. There's the funny little 4cyl Bendix rotor,
" the low-drag caliper [and drum?] then the big single piston
" Bendix. That's the one everyone wants for swaps. Simple!
" -----------------------
"
" Almost.
" 65-70 -- four piston Bendix
" 71-74 -- Kelsey Hayes 2.75" piston calipers
" 75-76 (all), 75-78 Matador -- Bendix 3.1" piston calipers
" 77-78 (except Matador) -- big bearing Bendix 2.6" piston calipers (used
" same bearings as big Bendix)
" 79-81 -- small bearing Bendix 2.6" piston calipers
" 82-83 (and through 88 Eagle/Jeep) -- GM 2.6" piston calipers
" The "small bearings" are typical for all six cylinder drum brake AMCs,
" the "big bearings" were used with V-8s. All K-H and 3.1" Bendix disk
" brakes use the big bearings, six or V-8. I did a little spindle research
" over the weekend and discovered that. All AMCs used only two bearing
" sizes. I think Andrew Hay pointed that out some time ago.

i just double checked - afaik the early '70s kh disks used the #2/#6
sets shared with drums and late disks, not the #17/#16 of the big
bendix.

speaking of this, i spent some time looking for possible brake
upgrades a while ago, and i located a mopar rotor that rides on the
same #17/#16 bearings as the amc big bendix; 11 3/4", 5x4.5", used
[not exclusively] '72-'81 on big cars and small trucks.  i don't know
the rotor thickness, i especially don't know the 'hat' height, and it
would at least need a custom or modified caliper bracket and 15"+
wheels - but maybe it's a possibility for those 'troublesome' big
bearing spindles...

" The factory 77-78 2.6" calipers reportedly had a phenolic piston, but
" rebuilds use steel. I've never seen an original caliper that hasn't been
" rebuilt -- probably because the phenolic piston supposedly started
" leaking after a few years use. I doubt an original caliper exists on a
" car that was driven much!

napa offers - or offered - your choice of phenolic, aluminum, or steel
pistons in their caliper rebuild kits.