[Amc-list] Re; F('ing) ailing parts too

I finished my fuel injected Spirit (with a carburetor at the time) in
time to drive it to St. Louis in 1999. I replaced the well vented OEM
engine with one from a 1975 Pacer that still had all connecting rods
attached to the crank shaft after it was well rebuilt of course. I
re-used the oil pressure sending unit from the 1980 engine which had the
pressure sensor internally along with the normally open switch that
controlled power to the automatic choke so it would start timing out as
soon as the engine started so the choke would be on for only a short
period of time.
I had about 5 days to break in the engine. Some where in the interval
the idiot light went on for oil pressure and  scared the bejabbers out
of me. My brand new almost $2000.00 engine was broke I thought, but then
again it went back out and I heard no undue noises. This repeated a
couple of times so I bought a new oil pressure sending unit. That one
went on for good some where in New Mexico setting a good bit of fear
into my psyche. Hearing no undue noises I drove with it that way until
evening and bought another one, which went on somewhere in Missouri or
so. By this time I was getting used to the lying oil pressure light so I
left it alone until I got to St. Louis where I bought another one. That
one went on as I was leaving Missouri so I ignored it until I got back
home and bought another one.
Later I installed the rally pack gauges which included an oil pressure
gauge. So I used a T, installed both sending units and periodically
watched the idiot light come on and the gauge show no problem.
Eventually it quit doing it.
Ghosts? Gremlins? Glitches? Black magic? I dunno, but
shortly afterwords I bought a used 81 Spirit and went through the same
cycle. After a couple of sending units it quit.
It has been a few years since the light has come on at the improper
moments. I never did figure out why it came on or why it quit!
However the front Rotors I bought for my Spirit warped at the slightest
provocation, but the AMX I did not bother replacing the rotors with new
ones. They still aren't warped.
My 1970 Donohue rotors are original and still not re-surfaced.
Junk parts are really fun.
Junk yard parts sometimes are a better deal.
John.