[Amc-list] The Eagle has once again taken flight!

Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:53 PM
From: Keleigh Hardie <keleigh3000@xxxxxxxxx>

Well, my Eagle is running again. The new trans is working well, though
I'm not sure the converter is locking up. If it is, the sensation must
be very subtle. I don't really fell a third shift. Have to keep
investigating that.

The 229 xfer case was a little more trouble than expected to set up. The
XJ linkage interfered with the trans shifter, but I worked it out. I've
never had a xfer case with low range before, are they all that noisy in
low?

Now, for a couple of further details. I need a fuel tank sender. If
anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

And, the tailgate struts that worked fine in L.A. don't seem to work in
this cold. Anyone have any recommendations for a cold weather hatch
strut?
------------------

1. Great!! Yes, the lock-up can be subtle in the first gen lock-up
trannys. Only the GM trannys would "hunt" a lot between lock and un-lock
IIRC. The Chrysler tends to lock when you let off the gas a bit when
cruising. Try accelerating once you hit cruising speed and are going up
a hill. It should unlock before it kicks down. I wouldn't be surprised
if the only time you feel it lock is when the engine is pulling a bit.

2. Yes, gear driven low range is usually noisy. It's not intended for
long time use, just to get you out of trouble.

3. Any of the AMC vendors should have a sender. I think 77 and later
Concord will fit, 80+ definitely will. The gauge/sender type changed in
the 76-78 timeframe.

4. I have the same problem with my Volvo. It's only like that when the
temps are below freezing. If you change to a stronger strut it will fly
open during warm weather. The only solution really is an old-fashioned
one. Get the "struts" off a 58-63 American wagon lift window! They might
not be long enough though. Other late 50s early 60s wagons used a slide
with a lock. Other than that, one of those plastic locks that snap on
would work.