Re: [Amc-list] AMC INK (road racing/AMX)

Re: [Amc-list] AMC INK (road racing/AMX)

I worked for a guy back in the Seventies that had raced Stingrays on
road circuits in the Sixties. He said the 289 Cobras were far more
competitive for 98 percent of the drivers. Only a rare, talented few
could drive the 427s fast without crashing.

AMC content: he said he never remembered AMXs being much of a factor in
American road racing at all...

Keleigh.
---------------------

Considering the numbers built I wouldn't be real surprised if he'd never
heard of a an AMX on a road course! The Ford/AC Cobra was a natural, the
only way to unbalance a Cobra was to stick a BB in it! The Corvette was
a big heavy car in comparison, especially with the big block. A friend
of mine used to race an MGBGT with minor engine work in autocross. He
went to one set up by the Corvette club in Columbia, SC, and finished
third place overall!! The 'vette courses had wider turns than he was
used to. The two 'vettes that beat him were a BB one and a blown 350
powered one. There was a nice long "back straight-away" about 300 foot
long they could "drag" down, then haul on the brakes for a "tight" turn.
I remember that one!  The high powered cars had good drivers who knew
how to power out of the turns without getting to far sideways and
weren't afraid to leave a little rubber behind.