Re: [Amc-list] Unbelievable neighbor

I'd be visiting the neighbor. Won't help if you want some kind of
compensation right now, but if you tell the parents what happened and
that you don't expect it to happen again they just might say something.
If they get snooty, just tell them you thought you'd deal with it this
way rather than call the cops. Then do it -- call the cops and file a
report. When the cops show up at the neighbors door telling them they
could be liable for damage if it happened again, that should change
their tune a bit.

Do you talk to the kid? Ask him if he's interested in old cars. You
might get some free help on occasion. Talk to him more as if he's a peer
rather than a kid and you'll get a little better response. I guess what
I really mean is try not to "talk down" to him. Sometimes this is the
best method of dealing with something like this.

When I was a kid my brother and I used to hang around for a peek in a
neighbors dirt track car shop (of course we weren't being destructive --
dad would have found out -- didn't want that!!). He ran us off a couple
times, then one day said "hey, if you kids are gonna hang around, you
might as well be useful! There's a broom over there, think the two of
you can handle sweeping up?" (or something like that... 30+ years
ago!!). Well, we started cleaning the shop, then asking questions, then
tearing apart blown motors, then helping assemble new ones! I still
remember Mr. Bright (yep, that's the name -- Hiram and Wayne, brothers
-- Wayne did most of the mechanic work, Hiram mainly drove) showing us
how to use a piston ring compressor and sticking the first piston in,
then walking away and letting us do the others while he worked on
something else. I couldn't have been more than 14, and this was their
race engine! We put rod caps and heads on and just snug the bolts, he'd
come back and torque them -- he always did that final check!

You have to be a bit careful though! Are you "allowed" to have a
non-driveable car in the neighborhood? Make sure all your ducks are
lined up before shooting at the neighbors!