Re: [Amc-list] U-ship report

Yep, I'm not surprised.   I'd forget using the usual common motor freight
carriers and their $1000 costs for such.   And then you would be surprised
at what they would pay for if they accidently ruined the cargo or just lost
the engines for youi.  You'd be luck if they would even pay back the freight
charges.

The U-Ship places are probably the best option but each is on their own in
dealing with them.  I suppose they are less regulated by any bureacratic
organizations than the high priced carriers and that might even be good...
If you merely pay your money and take your chances, you might as well pay
less money for the same treatment, huh?

Of course, it would be best to handle the transportation personally when it
come to these heavier or oversized items.    Although an alternative for
this may even yet be going to air freight forwarders or carriers and request
deferred air freight service and deliver it to their receiving terminal and
specifying hold for pickup at destingation.  In the not too far past many
carriers charged around $50 per cwt or perhaps someting like $250 - $300 per
engine.  Sometimes less.   They can give your spot quotes for this.
Deferred air is where they can moves the cargo when is won't compete with
other freight for cargo space.  It may take 3-5 days to get the shipment to
it's destination terminal.  Likely this is faster than the trucking service
and more reliable.  You can confirm their cargo loss or damage liability
when you ship this and you can pay for additional valuation (a form of
insurance)
coverage.  Generally,it is 70 cents to $100 per $100 value.

On bulky articles via air you would likely be paying for the space occupied
rather than for the weight shipped.  They typically have a minimum weight of
1 pound per ever 166 cubic inches or it may be 1 pound per 192 cubic inches
for some carriers in domestic USA service.  This means that for a 35 pound
front fender you may had to pay for 150 -280 pounds or so depending on the
actual specific extreme measurements of the package.
which is the longest length, and the widest width, and the deepest depth of
the package.

Not typically, for a favored shipper a trucking company would haul this at
their regular published class rates less a 75% discount (more or less
depending on how much they like your business) and then there is a fuel
surcharge they can charge due to the excessive cost of diesel fuel (Now
about 16%)  As an example, from Salinas, CA 93901 to Pittsburg, CA 15201
Using ABF Freight Truck rates the charge would be 900 lbs as 1000 at 131.32
per cwt for 1313.20 then discount 75% leaving 328.30 then add 16% $52.53 for
$380.83 total charge.  To most TX points the rates would be somewhat less
(Dallas might be about $322 total).

So, if you happen to be intimate with a business organization that is a
regular shipper in your neighborhood and can use them as an "in" to good
cheap freight rates and service and get them to ship the engines for you and
you can merely reimburse them their charges for shipping and handling.  But
you have to know them pretty well for this sort of thing.

But so many different things can make a difference in this. Get the basics
covered here.  Get a handle on the weight, and service type needed, the
pickup and delivery locations and the zip codes, etc.  Delivery service
needed,  if lift gate trucks are needed or if can be picked up by the
consignee at destination.  Of course you must make sure you have clean
freight and acceptable packaging,  no leaks, no messy crap.  Some carriers
will be picky about things and other not so much...  Live and learn.  Best
make it so easy that they can't turn you down and don't demand delivery at
specified time, or call before delivery for special appointment.  The common
motor trucking carriers will try to charge you for all the extras they
can...  If you have the weight wrong and understate it they will simply
re-weigh and correct it and bill on the corrected basis and stick another
$20 charge on it.
If you don't show the billing instructions on the bill of lading or if it
must be clarified or corrected or changed they will charge extra for that,
also.  Seems like anymore they act more like opportunists looking for
loopholes for the fast buck than an  a decent service tool for their shipper
customers.  But, sometime we do have to use them.

I'm sure that their are people around that aren't as critical with them as I
am.  I've probably just been around to long and remember how things used to
be in the trucking industry before modern management methods and total
deregulation and stuff.  You can thank Carter and Clinton administrations
for most of this for some reason.

Life is much simpler if you must only deal with the Parcel Carriers UPS or
FedEx Ground. (as opposed to FedEx Trucking).  FedEx Ground is generally the
most reasonable cost service.  Their services are generally restricted to
150 pounds or less single parcels and the carges are generally per parcel.

Sorry so long with this.  Hope it helps or gives at least some people a
direction in this.
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR - > <ralph.ausmann@xxxxxxxxx>
http://mysite.verizon.net/res79g4m/ ... and "check the links"