[Amc-list] U-ship report

A couple of weeks ago I requested information from the
list concerning shipping costs for two 304 engines
from CA to TX.

Someone suggested that I post the shipment on
U-ship.com and solicit bids on the shipping costs.

The buyer evidently backed out, so I won't be shippin
an engine, but I thought I would report the shipping
bids for general information.

The shipment was proposed as two complete V8 long
blocks, drained, wrapped in plastic film and strapped
to two 4x4 pallets.  Estimated weight 450 pounds each.
I called conway trucking and the gal quoted about
$1050 for the two pallets.

I called Fedex freight and UPS freight and they both
estimated $600 per pallet.

I received two U-ship quotes, one for $218 per pallet
and the other for $204 per pallet.  I did not
recognize the names of these trucking companies and I
don't know where their terminals are, but the low
quotes did not include any extras like home pickup, or
lift gate equipped truck.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA