Re: [Amc-list] T96 questions

" From: Justin Shelton <hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hi, Guys:
"
" A guy near Chicago had a ad up on Craigslist looking for a T96
" transmission for a '64 Classic, and since I had several spare T96s
" sitting around, I sold him one for cheap.
"
" He got it home and just wrote me this: "i cant use the inputshaft or
" any of the main shafts the cases are alot different also. i hate to
" tear it apart for a hand full of syncro parts."  Since I can use this
" transmission at some point in life, I'll just get it back and give
" him back his money, so it's no big deal, really, I just feel bad that
" he drove 30 miles on a snowy day to get something that didn't work
" out.
"
" Now I'm pretty sure that the T96 I game him came from a '62 that I
" parted out, however it *possibly* navigated over from my pile of '59
" parts.  In either event, how different would a '59 or '62 T96 have
" been from what showed up in a '64 Classic?  My 59/62 models and his
" '64 are basic cast iron 196 CID engine cars w/o OD on the
" transmission, so I'm not sure why the input or the main shafts or
" cases would be different.  Ideas?

bearings.  if some of the bearings were different the shafts would
have to change too.  i think i ran across this in '65-6 american
trannies, many years ago.

the bellhousing bolt pattern changed about '63 when they went from
bellhousing to tranny rear mounts.