Re: [Amc-list] First Cruise in Long Time

Re: [Amc-list] First Cruise in Long Time

Joe,

You may have tripped the brake warning light when you bled the brakes.
Your TSM will explain how to reset it. Also, if the same light is used
for the parking brake, that may causing it to come on as well.

For your gauges, you should also check any dash grounds. A messed up
ground will cause problems with them.

Matt

JOE FULTON wrote:
> I took my 73 Javelin out for a 10 mile cruise on the
> freeway today.  It is the first time the car has been
> excercised, except for occasional around the block
> trips for about five years.   Over a period of about
> three years I slowly fixed it up with new paint, vinyl
> top, carpet, and had one seat recovered.  The car has
> sat under a car cover most of the time since the
> project was completed.
>
> It still has a couple of problems I'd like to work
> out:
>
> First of all the brake warning light stays on, in
> spite of installing a new master cylinder as part of
> the "fix up" project.  I have bled the brakes and have
> a pretty solid pedal and it really feels like both the
> front and rear brakes are working when you get down on
> them. But the are manual drum brakes and they are a
> far cry from the four wheel disks on my Chevy pickup.
> I think I put new hoses in front, but it has been so
> long I'll have to pull a wheel and check.  I don't
> remember checking the rear wheel cylinders for leaks,
> so I probably should do that too.
>
> The second problem is the front end is creaky.  It
> creaks with every deflection of the front suspension.
> I did install new strut rod bushings as part of the
> project.  I also installed new coil springs because I
> had a broken coil in one spring when I purchased the
> car.  Perhaps the front spring seats need to be
> rebuilt.
>
> The third thing is that the temperature and fuel gauge
> tend to both read low.  I suspect it is the instrument
> voltage regulator and will check that out tomorrow.
>
> I would appreciate any useful information about the
> front end noise.  I don't have any polyurethane
> installed up front, BTW.
>
> Joe Fulton
> Salinas, CA

mhaas@xxxxxxx