[Amc-list] The breaks

Hey, the Beverly Hillbillies best not git uppity wit me --- or wit AMC!  I posted a legal link to a public photo and ain't gonna be "Busted!" by no one.  So it's not on their current website?  Tough.  It IS available.

If these addresses don't open the front door,

http://www.classics.com/images01/rod01-ph.jpg
http://www.classics.com/images01/rod01-15.jpg

we'll march right in the rear.  AMC's no fool.

http://tinyurl.com/32ktku

Rodeo, Shomdeo, Show-off Drive.  It's cars-for-show, not shoes-for-sale.

So Phil Hill was born to a clan with chauffeur, he won at Le Mans, etc.?

He's just another old old-car owner today.

http://www.philhill.com/goodwood_2006.html

So he drove all over Europe in Formula One?  So did half of AMC-Renault.

When Renault had a Concord with AMC, AMC had Spirit and Eagle had a 4WD, R5 Turbo was Le Car that won Monte Carlo (the World Rally, not the wide- body Chevy) and made everyone eat its dust.  And a well-known rag listed that Renault in its Top 10.

http://www.sci-mag.com/

Had AMC not been lost, Besse not been shot, or history not been history, a Renault-AMC Alpine-AMX Turbo should have been turning a few heads too.

http://tinyurl.com/38bl8l

Stand up for the facts.  AMC-Renault wasn't really that bad a good idea.

And Toyota isn't the first cheater in NASCAR.  Just ask the Detroit 2.5.

And one man's Le Mans is another man's Le Mons.  Bring on some old AMCs!

http://evilengineering.com/lemons/

http://www.thecreeper.net/24hoursoflemons/

As you dip into the flowing AMC ink, note that an AMC was noted in the last issue of the NAAM [National Association of Automotive Museums] News in a piece on auto photos that I'll let you get "to close to it") too.  Too little can be as bad as too much, but if you can weld a radio antenna from a water pipe found along a road, you can do it, too.  Only "Tough Americans" still drive AMCs like Rambler Hornets.

"AMC never built those!" you shout?

"TMI?"  Dig into your AMC archives.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sporifice/82560415/in/set-627269/

http://tinyurl.com/2z2wh9

OK?  Now read the article:

"Most are cataloged and indexed and have captions attached to identify the cars, the place, and the people. I came across two boxes of more recent photos, from the past thirty-five years or so. Most were of events, fundraising dinners and auctions, car shows, and exhibit openings taken as snapshots and not really considered "record photography" Some were in photo albums, others were duplicate prints stuffed into envelopes.

What I realized, and this may be the case at your museum, we do not treat the photos we take as documentary evidence of automotive history because we are to close to it at the time. A few of the photos had handwritten notes on the back' "Tom w/'39 Lincoln". But if you don't have someone around who knows who "Tom" is, they are of limited value in telling the story and interpreting history. What we write echoes down through the generations; in the future someone may search through your old shoebox of photos trying to evaluate them and reconstruct the past in a meaningful way. The advent of digital photography complicates the situation; we can't take a felt tip pen to the back side. Creating a photographic record with the express intent of helping those to come after us requires a change in thinking. We must "think ahead". That casual snapshot may eventually find itself in some future exhibit, and displayed in a media yet to be invented! Imperfect photos can now be scanned, twea
 ked, and adjusted with software. The fact is the digital image can have information attached to it as a tag or in a property field. Date and time are filled in automatically. The other fields require data entry and a commitment to assisting future automotive archivists and historians to tell our stories when we no longer can. So, as I wade through the stack of photos from the late 1970s depicting folks in bell bottoms, platform shoes, fringe suede vests, and granny glasses standing alongside their Pinto or Gremlin, then turn to the 1980s showing big hair, shoulder pads, feather earrings, head bands and leg warmers beside and IROC-Z or a DeLorean, I can only imagine how future generations will feel about what we wear and drive so proudly today!"

(and drive "Back to the Future" once more.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBis28v99Q

Are Pinto and Gremlin destined to drive together throughout history?

Like some Cheech and Chong still stuck in the psychedelic seventies?

Smoking un-weighed weed and spinning un-weighted wheels to eternity?

No, not when AMC leaves rehab and turns cool: AMC had -Spirit-, see?

AMC will be more than a Ford Horsefly, a Cheap Chevy, or a Mopar Ex.

(By which time Mopar will be probably have become a Daimler-Benz Ex.)

And what about Chevette?  Was it a car that T-eed off into America's rough, a Kadett who crossed the bridge from Lambeth and marched into Vauxhall Gardens, a Gemini twin called "Holden" in OZ and "Isuzu" in Japan --- or the serpent of South America

http://www.grafittiautomoveis.com.br/detalhes.php?CodVeiculo=238

that, thankfully, didn't live up (or down) to its rep?

http://www.corallus.com/cenchria/marajoisland001.html

Someday Gremlin will see its day in the sun --- as more than a Pinto.

Frank, Wagner found in Larks, Hawks, and Stude trucks.  And Nissans!

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/interchg.htm

http://www.studebakerparts.com/

AMC list contributor since 1996.

(Will he ever cease and desist?)