[Amc-list] History... Wed, 24 Jul 1996 (Repeat John Mahoney's first Pos

[Amc-list] History... Wed, 24 Jul 1996 (Repeat John Mahoney's first Posting)...

Remember this?

------------------------

|\ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:20:27 -0400 (EDT)

From: John Mahoney <mahoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: AMC Listserver Picture Identification Contest

Hope this arrives at the right place as I'm kinda new to email as well as
the list. I'm trying to learn about AMC in general and AMX in particular.

>From the top and/or left to right:

68 AMX (Craig Breedlove Class B)

69 AMX (could this be a Pike's Peak car sans decals?)

70 Rebel Machine (with option code 768)

72 Gremlin X (probably with a 304)

69 SC/Rambler

66 American 440 (hard to see if medallions "American" above a rectangular
"440" appear on fender beside headlight or if the side molding is near
beltline, but at least I believe it's not a 67 since it lacks the little
grille extensions and "Rogue" medallions and am pretty sure it's not a 68
since the grille seems to lack the central horizontal bar and the mid-body
side molding. Also the driver's side rearview mirror was mounted farther
back on the door in 68 and am sure they didn't offer a Rogue convertible in
66. Whew!)

70 AMX/3 (Could this be the yellow #5 car with the upside-down Firebird
taillights and might the happy guy standing in front be the designer
himself? Since I believe Richard Teague retired in 1983 and died in 1991 and
have only seen photos of him from the sixties, I wonder.)

66 Project IV AMX with RambleSeat (The plastic pushmobile introduced to SAE
in January of 1966 and campaigned during the 66-67 show season)

69 SC/Rambler "B" model (or maybe a nice Rogue with SC/Rambler
asirations...)

71 Hornet SC360 Go (285hp Ram-Air and 13.xx second ets?)

69 S/S AMX (Dunno - maybe a Hurst/Shahan dragster?)

57 Rambler Rebel (a 327 Vette vexer)

70 Javelin SST Trans-Am

71 Javelin AMX (surely a 401 "Go")

73 Javelin (with the rally stripe and new full vinyl roof)

68 AMX (390 "Go")

69 1/2 Javelin SST Big Bad with "Go"

73 Javelin AMX (A toughie - my monitor just doesn't bring up enough detail
if there are fender medallions for engine size - I think only 401 was marked
in 72-73 and there was no medallion in 74; or if bumpers were extended (73+)
or had the fatter rubber guards for 74; wheels kinda look later 70s or
aftermarket. Can't even be sure there wasn't a "Trans-Am Victory package"
decal on the fender.)

70 AMX "Go" (again, hard to tell, but those almost look like alloy wheels,
so maybe this was a styling prototype)

68 Javelin SST

71 Javelin (Penske/Donohue [sp.?] Trans-Am car)

75 Matador ("X" package - I think it was only a distinct model in 74)

Thanks for letting me have so much fun with this great contest.

John