[Amc-list] Power Brakes for all Ramblers, Rebels, Matadors, Ambassadors

[Amc-list] Power Brakes for all Ramblers, Rebels, Matadors, Ambassadors (except Mat Coupe).

Since I've been on the topic of brakes, and it's a very slow day here
due to the ice and rain mix, I thought I'd let people know that there is
a power brake kit that will fit all Ramblers, Rebels, Matadors (not
Coupe), and Ambassadors. Most Mats and Ambos will have power brakes, but
the earlier cars often don't. The hard to find part is the stand-off
bracket that raises the booster an inch or so for clearance.

MP Brakes sells Ford power brake kits that has the stand-off bracket and
push-rod. This will bolt right up and is close to stock. The big
difference is the master cylinder has left side ports (driver's side),
so lines will have to be repositioned. I suggest new lines between the
MC and junction block or combo valve since the fittings are different
for some of the old Ramblers, especially with Wagner MCs. The fittings
on the junction block/combo valve are standard though. The left side
ports will be tight on some, I have a left port MC on my 63 Classic and
it was a tight fit for the front line between the spring tower and MC.

The kits are $299 and come complete with MC, booster, brackets, and
push-rod. You may have to modify the pushrod length and/or hole
location, and might have to re-drill a couple of the firewall mount
holes in the bracket. It's been a long time since I mounted a 70 or so
Galaxie booster in a Rambler. I'm reasonably sure I didn't have to drill
the bracket to fit (drilled the Rambler bracket to fit a Ford Ranger
booster in my Classic), but I can't recall a thing about the pushrod. I
know it fit and worked extremely well in a six cylinder car.

The master cylinder for the 52-72 Full Size Fords has a 1.125" bore for
the Big Bendix 3.1" calipers. Perfect for 71-76 AMCs (all) and 77-78
Matador sedans and wagons. It can be purchased with 7" dual, 8" dual, or
9" single diaphragm boosters. 8" is usually used for disc/drum or
disc/disc brakes, 9" single for drum/drum. The 7" is used mainly where
clearances are tight. The 1964-1971 Ford Fairlane and Torino kit has 1"
bore master cylinder, perfect for the 2.6" 77-83 calipers. It only comes
with the 7" dual booster, but that's fine for all AMCs with 2.6"
calipers. All kits come with a disc/drum master cylinder. If you need a
different master they will oblige, but it may cost more. All the Ford
kits are $299

PART NUMBERS:
BM1502 52-72 FORD FULL SIZE 8" DUAL DIAPHRAGM POWER BOOSTER/1.125"
MASTER
BM1503 52-72 FORD FULL SIZE 9" POWER BOOSTER/1.125" MASTER
BM1507 52-72 FORD FULL SIZE 7" DUAL DIAPHRAGM POWER BOOSTER/1.125"
MASTER
BM1510 64-71 FAIRLANE/TORINO 7" DUAL DIAPHRAGM POWER BOOSTER/1" MASTER
http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/search-results.cfm

One note of importance: if you tell these guys it's for an AMC or
Rambler they will tell you they don't have anything for an AMC and won't
sell you the Ford setup. Now your first thought is they do that for
liability reasons. That makes some sense, but then these same guys sell
all sorts of universal parts that rodders piece together into their own
custom brake systems. They won't sell a Ford part if they know you're
putting it on a Rambler, but they'll sell you pieces and parts to put on
just about anything -- go figure! You can't buy the stand-off brackets
alone, you have to buy the kit. Use something like a 69 Galaxie (full
size) or 69 Torino as the target vehicle.

The Jeep CJ kit should work if you pull the booster and turn the bracket
upside down, but I'm not sure if the push-rod is long enough. Master
cylinder bore is the same 1.125" with left ports as the full-size Ford
kit, but the Jeeps used 2.6" calipers 79-86 (the kit states 74-86).

You can use this message for reference when searching salvage yards
also.