Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

hello every one and especially you too Tom,
I just wanted to say I was very happy to see a couple of fellow listers jump
to my defense regarding the mild steel and stainless steel subject, Thanks
Frank and Dan. It just really scared me to think that some one had gone
through all that work to restore their stainless trim and then to have it
rust stained by using steel wool. The good news is, Tom has the test of time
and weather to back him up on the idea that steel wool works, and I am very
impressed with his results. I know that the better quality of the alloy
(such as 308 stainless versus 324, with 324 being the better stuff, right
Frank?) has something to do with it's stain-less ability, but don't be
misled, having steel in the alloy is much different than steel itself,
that's what makes stainless steel stainless, it is the alloying process with
nickel that provides the properties.  However, further contamination after
the alloy process is completed,  is not good. Since a guy isn't welding or
grinding on his SS trim, I suppose you could get by with using steel wool to
fine polish it, but remember supply houses such as Eastman sell products
especially suited for this use. I think Tom also has had such great luck
with his trim because he's one picky guy and takes very good care of it.
Great conversations and I certainly learned something on this one.
Armand