Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Armand Eshleman wrote:

> Wow !! I find that interesting !! When I was working as a pipefitter we were
> always told never to use regular steel with anything
> that was stainless steel as the stainless would acquire the regular steel
> molecules on the surface and then show rust stains. We were always told to
> never mix the two. We did food grade stainless steel piping and tubing
> fabrication, which was very sensitive to quality. Maybe if the stainless was
> never allowed to become wet and you protected it with a wax or sealer it
> would be OK, I know I will only use stainless steel wool on my stainless
> steel trim, and never use sandpaper that has been contaminated on regular
> steel. Nor use a regular steel wire brush on stainless steel, nor use a
> grinder wheel that had been grinding regular steel on stainless steel.
> but that's just me..........

Well, two years later -- in rain and after being washed --
no side effects. I dunno where the idea of iron embedding
in stainless would come from. Stainless CONTAINS iron, for
one. Two, it's a highly polished surface, embedment would be
at the macro-molecular level, not chunks big enough to rust!
Hard stainless isn't very soft, or porous. It's just not that
touchy or sensitive a material or environment.

Plus, there's good old try-it-see-what-happens!

There's always brass wool. Hard to find. It's great stuff, I
need to mailorder some in fact, with some brass brushes.