Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

> " From: "Gary L. Kirk" <glkirkbuilders@xxxxxxx>
> "
> " Has anyone ever had or heard of a good way to remove the dents and
> " irregularities from stainless trim on our cars. The one in question
> " on my car is the one that wraps around the rear of the car fron one
> " wheel well to the other. I believe it is a late 64 option on my 65
> " American.
>
> dunno about dents, but i recall from reading about deloreans that you
> can buff scratches out with fine steel wool.

Wow !! I find that interesting !! When I was working as a pipefitter we were
always told never to use regular steel with anything
that was stainless steel as the stainless would acquire the regular steel
molecules on the surface and then show rust stains. We were always told to
never mix the two. We did food grade stainless steel piping and tubing
fabrication, which was very sensitive to quality. Maybe if the stainless was
never allowed to become wet and you protected it with a wax or sealer it
would be OK, I know I will only use stainless steel wool on my stainless
steel trim, and never use sandpaper that has been contaminated on regular
steel. Nor use a regular steel wire brush on stainless steel, nor use a
grinder wheel that had been grinding regular steel on stainless steel.
but that's just me..........
Armand