Re: [Amc-list] Need to Ship Two Motors

Hi Joe
It can depend on where it is going.  If Motor Cargo serves both origin and
destination they may be best.   Make sure you get a quotation so you won't
be surprised with extra add-ons.   Pickup at a place of business is no extra
charge but if they pickup at a restricted or a residential location they do
have a charge.  They may go along with a curbside pickup for you but should
make sure as could depend on location.  There may be a problem loading if no
dock or if no lift to get it to truck deck.  If a lift gate is required or
requested they can charge for that.

The same would be true for the delivery end on this.  Try to get the
consignee to make things as simple as possible for the carrier in order to
minimize his cost.

If these engines are used auto parts and for repair or rebuilding and reuse
they should be subject to class 70 ratings in the carriers tariff.  The
value of the parts are only the for reconditioning or salvage.  If there is
loss or damage youi cannot likely come to any profitable settlement with the
carrier and maybe not even cover your expenses incurred.  The carrier should
reimburse any shipping costs already paid unless they are not at fault.

ABF Freight and Fedex Ground (Trucking Co. Div). and ConWay Western should
also be local carriers for Salinas.  ABF servicenter location is at San
Jose, I believe and they s/b contacted there.  The others likely have local
terminals for you.  I generally prefer FedEx trucking or ABF.   They can
quote you special and incorporate a discount or a special rate level for
you.

With two engines here you will likely have around 90 to 1000 pounds
depending on whether complete engines or not.  You may have to make sure
there would be no leakage from these engines and they should let you know if
the packaging isn't good enough.  Shopping for rate and dealing with carrier
clerks can be a hassle but likely necessary.

If there is any used equipment dealers in your area who may do some shipping
in or out and have established rapport with a freight carrier they likely
have a decent freight discount for their account that can get shipping
charges down to within some reasonable level.

Carriers rates are generally inflated to the extent that they commonly give
shippers discounts of 60% or greater and up to 80% of their current rate
levels.  You are subject to their policies in this.  They do not all charge
the same legal rate to all shippers (people who send shipments) any more as
was the law in past years.

The last price regulation and the ICC went down the tube in Clinton's
Administration.  Not that it was all his fault but he was the last to sell
out consumers in this.  Big business won out and the industry is free to do
their flim flam.  Like the early railroads before the turn of the previous
century.

If I get any better thoughts on this for you I'll get back to you.  But let
me know where the shipment is going and address and weight and what carrier
your might prefer or the buyers preferences.
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR - > <ralph.ausmann@xxxxxxxxx>
http://mysite.verizon.net/res79g4m/