Re: [Amc-list] 1960 Woodgrain Rambler American Wagon

Re: [Amc-list] 1960 Woodgrain Rambler American Wagon

Nothing like that was available on the American from 58-60. It was
"price leader" car, even the top of the line models weren't dressed up
that much! The treatment around the pillar areas is reminiscent of the
early Nash Rambler "Greenbrier" wagon, but the Nash Rambler was sold as
an upscale compact, a "personal" car if you will. The reintroduced 58
model was just the opposite. I don't think even the Greenbrier had the
tailgate woodgrain treatment, just the window pillar area. I think
there's a photo of one in "The AMC Family Album" (don't you have that
on-line?) showing the treatment in the pillar area. Might just be a
second color, not woodgrain though -- will have to look.

The lower body paint might be original on that car, but the woodgrain is
definitely not. I don't think the seller is trying to be deceitful.
Often buyers of old cars they aren't that familiar with assume something
that looks like it could be original IS original. If they can't find
another like it, they just assume it's some rare model.

If the car is well restored other than the custom paint, it very likely
is worth close to the asking price. Rambler prices, especially the 50s
looking cars, have been going up. They have that 50s appeal of more
popular models like the tri-five Chevys and 50 Ford, but priced much
lower. Since they are more affordable, people start looking to buy them,
and the more people look and buy, the higher the pricing will go. I
think it will be a good thing in the long run, as more will be saved,
but bargain prices for unrestored examples are going to be a thing of
the past. That's going to hurt -- it still costs way to much for a
professional appearing accurate restoration on these cars, and probably
always will. Even as more repro parts are turned out they won't be in
the numbers needed to make resto prices drop much. We're in an up swing
in the AMC/Rambler market now, and the higher prices will result in more
saved, but I think it will be short lived as people discover the
difficulty in restoring one and start to shy away from them a bit a few
years from now.

I could, however, be wrong. Maybe the market will just view it as an
alternative to a "real collector car" and not be so fussy about 100%
restorations. It's become a prime "resto-rod" car in hot rod circles
already -- 50s look, but not valued enough to prevent engine swaps and
such. Even though I'm a bit of a hot rodder myself, I hate to see
collectible cars so extensively modified that they can't be returned to
stock. Even my 63 Classic wagon can be returned to stock with no more
scars than a few extra holes -- which can be welded closed so that no
one's the wiser. A complete drivetrain would be needed, but it could be
done.

Hopefully most of the cars will be semi-restored -- engines and such
parts that are available restored, but items that aren't adapted from
other sources to keep an original look without the worry of 100%
originality. That seems to be the case for most, hot rodders the
exception. It's just to much work for the average old car lover to do
complete engine swaps, and to costly for the budget conscious who are
looking at Ramblers because they can't justify the expense of the more
popular cars. This is the way I think/hope the collector car market is
going as far as AMC/Rambler vehicles.

The exception across the board is hot rodders with deep pockets. Almost
nothing is untouchable to them. I've even seen a few full Classic
Packards resto-rodded. They were basket cases with little more than a
salvageable body shell when found, then rodded because of the massive
expense to restore. Who cares if it would be a $500,000 car if it takes
five years and $300,000 (that you don't have) to get it there? Sure,
there's a $200,000 profit -- but remember, you don't have the money for
the resto. The same car can be rodded for $100K-$200K (depending on how
far you want to go) with some owner work and careful shopping, and be
worth at least that much when done.

I don't mind seeing cars like the above example resto-rodded. But there
are those who look for fully restored (usually an older resto) or very
good condition originals to rod. That's a sacrilege! An example is a guy
who bought an older restoration of a 39 Lincoln Zephyr a couple years
ago. Hot-Rod featured a story on the well done car. The owner wanted a
solid car to begin with for his rod project (a reasonable idea under
most circumstances). He bought the car careful not to reveal he intended
to highly modify it (I wonder if he actually lied to the seller?). When
the car was finished (this was a checkbook rod -- took a little over a
year), he took it to show the seller. The idiot was surprised when the
seller (who restored the car himself) looked at the car, then turned and
went back in his house without saying a word. The rodder didn't realize
he'd just slapped the guy in the face... no, sucker punched him is more
like it. When I was looking for a replacement for my resto-rodded wagon,
I passed on 3-4 affordable, well kept or semi-restored Ambassador and
Classic wagons. I kept looking until I found one that needed a full
resto, yet was solid. There are few enough original and restored cars of
ANY AND ALL makes to butcher one for a rod.

-------------------------
Date: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 09:00 PM
From: mikebailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has anyone ever seen one of these before, or know if this is a "legit"
car?

I have nine different 1960 sales catalogs, two that are specific to the
1960 Rambler Wagons, and two that are for the 1960 Rambler American, and
nowhere is there a picture or a mention of this.

I've got 1956 and 1957 brochures that show the larger Rambler Super
Cross
Country with a woodgrain pattern around the pillar area, but nothing
like
this...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557506063qxgrLU

The same car is on Epage right now for 13 grand:

http://epage.com/js/mi/c46295/r649969/2008145.html

Just wondering...
mike