Re: [Amc-list] Attention AOL members! Important warning!

Re: [Amc-list] Attention AOL members! Important warning!

Okay, don't anyone get in a panic over this! As noted, we aren't picking
on AOL members. We're happy to have you as much as anyone else. We do,
however, feel that AOL is unfairly picking on us (the list). We will not
move to ban AOL or any other service, we're just not going to jump
through hoops to get a service to keep us on their "good guy" list. So
it might be a good idea to either complain to AOL about it (surely they
have a list they can put the AMC-List on!) or get a free e-mail account
somewhere just for the AMC-List. Even if you never look at that account,
you can still post from the reply feature at www.amxfiles.com... though
that has some caveats (takes longer to get to the list -- up to 12
hours, though usually 4-8, because the messages get "trapped" and have
to be released by an administrator).

That doesn't mean we won't fill out forms or whatever if a service
requires it or asks. We've done this *twice* for AOL already, all within
a year's time, filling out forms when the list changed to the new
software and supposedly getting on their pass through list. That was
understandable since there were quite a few ex members who suddenly got
reinstated. One or two complaints getting us put on the "bad guy" list
IS NOT understandable.

I hate spam as much as the next guy, and sometimes wish my ISP would be
more aggressive, but I'm not willing to, as Tom put it in an earlier
e-mail, "throw out the babies with the wash-water". I go through my
e-mail and delete 1/3 as spam, and another 1/3 as bounces from the list.
Of the 1/3 left, I find 25% is spam or junk that wasn't obvious. That's
all in a days work if I want to assist in servicing the list and not
miss e-mails from people inquiring about AMCs (from the list, web page,
magazine, and referrals form others). I can't really use spam filters
that only allow e-mail under certain circumstances/from certain
addresses. If I did, half the people who legitimately contact me would
never be able to get through.