Re: [Amc-list] Attention AOL members! Important warning!

Re: [Amc-list] Attention AOL members! Important warning!

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" We have only 24 AOL members currently. One of you marked some
" AMC-list digest as spam, possibly accidentally.
"
" AOL is insanely hair-trigger about spam, so much so that a
" single complaint from a user triggers hours of work dealing
" with AOL's special requirements, unlike any other ISP I've ever
" encountered in my 14 years of internet experience.  All in all
" they have become a major PITA.

i'm surprised they don't seem to have any sort of memory about this.
the ordinary person would think that after it happened the first time,
they'd look back over their records and say oh yes, it's a legitimate
list server not spam...

" For privacy reasons AOL cannot give out the email address of
" the complaining customer; but this also makes it impossible
" for me to remove them from the list. Therefore the complaints
" will possibly continue. If they continue long enough, they will
" block the AMC-list entirely.
"
" The point of my mailing you is, I've had it with AOL. They
" are asking for too much special treatment, and frankly, it's
" a low-quality email provider, so if things get worse I will be
" forced to disallow AOL.com users from the AMC-list.
"
" We have only 24 AOL.com list members. It's a lot of work for so
" much thankless grief from AOL. It's the AOL corporation that's
" the problem, not users, not even the alleged complaining user
" (who, if you'd just write us, we'd remove you in an instant,
" and politely.)
"
" I'm not sure if there's anything AOL members can do about this;
" maybe there is, but it will be up to you to deal with them. They
" won't listen to me.

what i'd do the next time it happens is send out a bulk email as
amc-list-owner [or the like] to all aol subscribers explaining that
they're not getting list mail because one of them - who not only
signed up but also answered the confirming email like we all did -
complained and aol is now blocking the list.  suggest they get gmail,
hotmail, or yahoo addresses for reading the list, so they won't get
cut off again.  suggest the ball is in their court if they want aol to
unblock the list.

of course, aol will probably block the list admin address at the same
time...