Re: [Amc-list] frustration

With the Gremlin, you are talking about one thing only. People like them.
A lot.  To the tune of almost 3/4 million produced.  Only now there's a
lot less, percentage wise, than cars like Mustangs, with 1.2 MILLION (put
your pinky finger to your cheek when you say that) stamped out in the
first 2+ years. But everybody still wants one.  So they still cost money.

There were like 69,000 66 Chevelle 396 SS's.  I wouldn't call that rare.
Doesn't matter, people like 'em. Value up.

There do seem to be a lot of people attempting to create and then ride a
"Gremlin Wave of Value" right now.  The market will always sort that out.

To my mind, any running and driving Gremlin is probably 2000-2500 worth,
cleaned up at retail.  If you can get it for 700 bucks, like mine, all the
better.

Molly Blue looks like crap and runs great.  I've been offered 5000 "on the
spot" probably 8 or 10 times in the year and a half I've been driving her.
 There have been four offers from 7000 to 7500.

People ask me in traffic maybe once a month if I'll take a couple of
grand(probably have their paycheck in their pocket).

When tax checks start hitting, there will be business cards under the
wipers in the parking lot again.

I could sell her(GASP), but then where do I get another one?(Besides the
back yard, I mean.)

I believe any Gremlin in clean, presentable condition, not needing trim,
paint, parts or maintenance, is worth up to about 5K with a 6 cyl and A/C,
maybe a few other things like X package, disc brakes, luggage rack,
pop-out vent windows.

IF the same clean car is a V8 X model, it's already AT five.  Things like
Levi's interior, sunroof, 4-speed, all drive it up from there. With most
of these things in place, put it around 7500-10K.

That's simply the market now.  Over-restored or low-mileage V8 models with
X package, Levi's, and a long list of options can easily run up to 12-15K.

Or, you keep your eyes open and get one that's not "market ready", a nice
little beater that's not far from running condition.

Then you can get by for 1000-2000 bucks.  I see the occasional one slip by
for less than a grand. Just don't expect even to decently re-furbish it
for less than about 2-5k. Some parts are already all but gone, and have to
be made or substituted.

Enough depressing crap.

here is a Blown 401 with a 6-71 GMC-style B&M Streetcharger, from Capt.
Rambler's garage:

http://route66rambler.com/nashin/Blown401.jpg

Here's a web page that has some pictures of a Mity Mite that was on e-Bay:

http://www.geocities.com/indianalee1978/indy2.8mightymite.html

later,
m.