[Amc-list] a mahoney moment in time

The other day I stopped by a Shipley's Donuts here in Houston to pick up a
dozen for the kids on my way home. As usual, was driving a AMC, this time
the 72 Ambassador SST wagon. I parked next to a Mercedes something or
another and had a Mahoney Moment.

A Mahoney Moment is when you see something in traffic, at a car show, car
lot, tv, automotive and it tends....to make you think. And many times cross
reference the similiarities between whatever you are looking at and AMC.

No, not the joystick Mercedes:
 http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/newmercedes.asp

This was a slick looking black Mercedes, looked like this although if you
search for 'mercedes cl' you will find better photos:
http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.asp?article=Mercedes_Benz_new_CL_tops_the_Class.&item=1831

I was impressed with the interior, and it just didn't look like a Mercedes.
Bessie the Ambassador was I guess jealous and told me to move on and go get
damned donuts and quit gawking. But I gawk, it is what car guys do. Car
girls too. This was simply a really good looking car. If I had $140K however
I would go get Rebel Machine rims reproduced, which is about $180K for
5000-6000 minimum. Still, I went inside grabbed the donuts, and came back
out and decided to take a second look in the drizzle falling. Been really
crappy weather here in Houston for like 2-3 weeks, drizzle, rain and cold.
This Mercedes had a greenish tint to the glass not unlike my 69 Ambassador
SST back at the house (which I jusrt sold and the new owner drove home to
Pflugerville, Texas) and the dash had lots of wood, sort of like my 72
Ambassador sitting next to it. My woodgrain was metal with that stuff AMC
pressed on, but it still looks great 35 years later. There was some little
tv looking thing in the Mercedes, probably a GPS. Well, I have a compass:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330083125103&ssPageName=ADME:L:DSS:US:11
works just great although don't talk to you in silky girl voice. I guess I
could give Paige a few Miller Lite's and she could talk like that GPS voice.

Anyways, would have admired the Mercedes a little longer but donuts getting
cold (it was about 43 degrees and drizzle) and I have had the flu, along
with kids and Paige, the last several days so no business even getting out,
much less for donuts. Still, it was a interesting Mahoney Moment to see this
new...and old.....cars from different automakers side by side. Where will
that Mercedes be in 35 years, will it still be on the road? Will the GPS
silky voice girl now be cranky old bitch, telling you 'YOU BETTER TURN
HERE!!!' how about that wood inside, will it be full of Houston termites?

When I got home I had to do a search for what I had just saw and was
surprised to see on one of the 'spy photos'
http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/location/country/country/gcf

another Mercedes with some neat options:

Through infrared technology a new night vision system will help drivers get
a better view.
On AMC, we call this non vacuum wipers that usually have one speed, slow and
well, uh, slower.

system is being developed and tested.
This is easy, in my SC/360, Eagle(s) or Ambassador this means a bag of Tacos
from Taco Cabana. If you have a four speed like the SC/360 you better be
extremely good at multi tasking. Otherwise if you have a console you can
damned lay out whole buffet there. Works great and have room for laptop,
but keep it away from the cup of queso and pico de gallo.

Lane departure warning system will alert the driver if the vehicle wanders
from its lane.
This one is easy, it's called driving on I-10 in Houston:
http://www.katyfreeway.org/
Improved Active Body Control (ABC)
This one also easy, it is called lose some weight or rip your Veintiliar
Vinyl AMC seats.

Parking assistant equipped with small cameras in the side mirrors and
bumpers.
Chances are they got this from some of the art cars. Great idea, but I
guarantee you
simply turning your head around like they taught you in driver's ed in 75
works better.
Everyone have a good night, time for more medicine.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx