Re: [Amc-list] Show of hands / high performance aluminum radiator

Re: [Amc-list] Show of hands / high performance aluminum radiator

In my experience, AMC car radiators are pretty much the same general
core size (height and width) across the board from 1958-88. That's a
pretty general statement I know! The tanks changed a bit over the years,
and the mounting brackets change due to different setbacks, but the
inlet and outlet locations are the same. I'm reasonably sure the
inlet/outlet sizes are the same, but that needs to be checked. I know a
74 Hornet radiator fits a 62 Classic. It would be easy to make a
radiator that would fit all via a spacer. If a permanently mounted
flange were used, it would have to fit the model with the most inset
(radiator set in the core support, or forward of the core support), then
spacers used to "push" the radiator closer to the fan as needed.

The only other practical way I could see to make a universal fit would
be to have a side support permanently fastened to the radiator with
welded on nuts (or "crimped on" nuts). Then an L shaped bracket could be
provided with slotted holes to match the radiator mounted nuts. The L
brackets can be drilled to match the original mounting holes by the
installer. The hole location changed a little over the years also.

I'm running a two row re-cored 62 American L-head radiator in my 63
Classic w/4.6L stroker six and have never had a cooling problem.

Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:21 AM
From: Widiker, John D <john.widiker@xxxxxxx>

The price is less then $290, how much depends on how many people I get
on board, that's the reason for doing the group buy. If anyone knows
swap info and would post it I'd appreciate it.