Re: [AMC-List] Heat Crossover

I have to agree with Glenn on using an intake with heat crossover with a
street machine. Not necessary with a strip car but on a street car it
helps with warmup and smooth running. As far as intakes go, I would
choose the R4B if it is strictly a street machine as it gives you more
power from stoplight to stoplight, not that I would ever race on the
street. Yeah, right. I myself really like the Torker for many of the
street/strip AMC's I have owned over the years, it gives you more power
at higher rpm's. Dual quads are nice for looks but not as much power with
them.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:25:16 -0700 "Glenn Ford"
<gcmford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> You used the key words "street machine".
>
> I have no experience with any hi-perf AMC's, but I did once run a
> chev 283
> w/30-30 cam +solids, .040 over and 10 to 1 comp. I blocked the
> crossover
> with a Mr. Gasket intake set, and with a Holley four, I found it
> very
> disconcerting to find , in cool, humid weather, that the throttle
> would
> freeze up at part throttle while just cruising. I had heard of
> carburetor
> icing, but just in airplanes. Gets exciting when the car won't slow
> down
> with foot off gas.
>
> I suspect you may find some of those manifolds may not have a
> crossover
> passage, anyway, and the heat from below through the aluminum plenum
> may be
> adequate. More experienced will chime in, I hope.
>
> Just that if you get the NON-crossover type heads, you are stuck in
> that
> rut.
>
> I will say that my chev ran great during the summer, never needed
> premium,
> only regular gas.
>
> Glenn Ford

> or go to http://www.amc-list.com

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA     NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
          JOIN NAMDRA, the best AMC club around!!
'07 AMC NATIONALS - Sep. 6-8, 2007 - Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974,  NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766