[AMC-List] automatic to manual swap in 65 classic

Date: Thursday, January 4, 2007 12:51 PM
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

there is a guy in town who has a 65 classic with 287
or 327. it has an automatic in it. it has fluid lines
going into the radiator. im not sure what auto it is.
i still have that t86/r10. would that be able to be
swapped into the 65 very easily? i have another 62
classic out of town for parts only. its a 3 speed
manual. would i be able to use the clutch system out
of that one to put into the 65? what about
bellhousing. how hard is it to find a bellhousing to
mate that trans up to that engine? would the tourqe
tube/driveshaft be a different length? sounds to me
like it might be a lot of work. if i could get parts
the guy might do the swap and put that trans/od in
use.

1. If the engine/trans is original in the Classic, it's a 287 with a M-8
tranny. The 65 and 66 M-8 has both a throttle valve cable AND a vacuum
reference port (but not a modulator) on the trans. Sort of an unusual,
transitory setup. Previous models are identical except for the valve
body and only used a vacuum modulator, as did the M-11 introduced in 67.
I'm not sure where an M-10 comes into play, or if AMC even used one.
>From the logic behind later B-W trannys, however, the M-10 is a slightly
heavier duty version of the M-8 and was used behind 327s. NOTE THAT THIS
IS CONJECTURE ON MY PART CONCERNING THE M-10!! I've been assisting a guy
in Holland with a 65 Classic 287/M-8, and have a photo of the trans tag
and TV/vacuum setup, so I know that for sure (plus I checked the 65 & 66
TSMs in my efforts to assist him, and the 64 & 67 to find the break
points for controls).

2. There is one problem with swapping the T-86 you have into the 65 --
the torque tube. Maybe... What type of TT flange does the trans have?
56-62 models used a two bolt flange, on bolt on each side. 63-66 use a
four bolt flange, one bolt in each corner of a square flange. You can
switch between the two easily, but have to have the TT adapter for an OD
trans for the TT type being used.

3. The bell housing is easy -- any three speed bell housing from a V-8
will mount the transmission. I believe even a T-10 bell will work.

4. The clutch system is tricky. The 62 pedal might work on the 65, but I
can't say for sure. I believe they will interchange. The other parts
most likely will need some "adjusting". There's a support that bolts to
the body that may not interchange without drilling the body or bracket
for new holes, and may require some reshaping. The rod lengths may be
different and the rods may be different shapes. All I can tell you 100%
is that most parts from a 56-62 will interchange, and from a 63-66. The
two sets of years are totally different bodies. Of course V-8 parts
won't necessarily interchange with six cylinder parts. The clutch pedal
will, but the bell crank (shaft between engine and body that the rods
connect to) may be different. That means the rod lengths and bends might
be different also.

5. GOOD NEWS: if the trans you have is from a 63-65, the TT length is
the same with an OD or auto trans, so the TT won't be a problem if it's
the right style.