Re: [AMC-List] Cherokee diesel?

Just a few weeks ago, I saw either a 95 or 96 model Cherokee diesel for sale on Ebay in the "parts car" category that had been wrecked. . It was an export model with a 2.5 diesel of some sort, but it was a factory-built diesel. It was in Maryland.

And, don't forget the diesel Cherokees that were available 84-86 (miserable as they likely were).

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit
84 Eagle wagon
72 Javelin SST
69 Ambassador DPL

<snip>

i've been thinking about dieselizing a cherokee.  for them, toyota is
a natural choice as they both used similar aisin-warner trannies; i
narrowed it down to a 2L-TE with a stick for my approach, but volvo
also used the aw auto and when they dropped the vw diesel and started
making their own they put them together for at least a few years.  bad
news: volvo doesn't sell diesel cars here.  also, the mill is a -5-.
good news: volvo marine does sell the engine here, and it's powerful -
160 and 190 hp from a 2.4L!  that still leaves you scratching for the
flexplate etc unless you can find a helpful parts person, but it's a
big step forward.

toyota diesels - and most japanese engines - are available pretty
reasonably as low mileage used pulls from japan.