Re: [AMC-List] Globs in the fuel caused by ethanol dissolving

Re: [AMC-List] Globs in the fuel caused by ethanol dissolving

I tend to agree with John. 10% ethanol shouldn't affect fiberglass gelcoat. E-85 might, but E-10 will not.

This does seem like something either in the tank or fuel causing this problem. Might be time to invest in a locking gas cap -- maybe someone did put something in the tank. If not, you can pull the tabk, wash it out with warm water and soap, then let it dry and wash out again. Hirsch  tank liner is alcohol proof, so you can use that. You just pour it in and slosh it around. It will line fiberglass tanks also. There's more than one kind of resiin used in boats. Polyester is the cheaper stuff found in most auto parts stores. I don't think it likes alcohol. I believe the higher priced resin is alcohol resistant -- but I might have that backwards. I know of at least one boat owner with a fiberglass tank who lined with the Hirsch stuff and has had no problem after a couple years. He brushed it on rather than sloshing around (hard to slosh a boat around -- tank is built in -- he cut the top out and painted the inside). www.hirschauto.com.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"