Re: [AMC-List] 65 Marlin Instrument Bulbs

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Arfon wrote:

> The issue with LEDs are that they are not omni-directional.  My 67s have
> alot of illumination done through the edge of clear plexiglass (light
> pipes).  LEDs just shoot straight up.  Not sure of the answer.

If they are the LED lamp replacement, with a clear plastic
lightbulb shape, you can sand them with 180 grit or so to
really rough them up. They diffuse OK then, but they still
don't produce hemispherical light.

> Try this...  Take a 158, impede airflow around it (a towel, in a small box
> or etcetera), put 12V across it and measure the temperature.  Do the same
> with a 168 and see how much hotter it is.

That's an excellent idea...

(Once I tried to make a heater for a cage of pet rats by wrapping a 40
watt incandescent lamp in aluminum foil. They lasted about one hour --
glass got hot enough to melt and it sucked in a bubble and blew out!)