Re: [AMC-List] overweight Americans

As I recall my 61 American wagon weighed 2500-2600 pounds -- on a grain
scale. It was only ~200 lbs more than a friends 72 Pinto (this was back
in 79!). He couldn't believe it! Even I thought it would be more like a
500 lb. difference (he was thinking 800-1000). The weight difference was
mainly the heavy 196. With a newer engine it would have been closer. His
2.3L four speed would have been a good combo for it -- I've helped with
that swap in a 54 Nash Rambler -- ran great! Might have been a bit
lighter.

Part of the weight growth is the change in unit body design. The "three
box" design is a bit heavier than the bumper to bumper rail design,
believe it or not. But manufacturing is quicker/easier (cheaper) for the
"three box" and the car can sit lower. Styling leads here, but the
difference is only about 200 lbs. in the body for a much more modern
looking car, and the better aerodynamics probably negates the slight
weight gain, at least on the highway. A 63 Classic isn't real
aerodynamic, but has less frontal area and is lower than a 62. The
heavier cars are a little more roomy too. Not so much difference in the
big cars (maybe none between 62 and 63 Classic, just different as the 62
sits higher), but there's a HUGE difference in interior space between a
63 and 64 American (63 being about the same as that 1950 Nash Rambler!).
Compare the weight between a 62 and 63 Classic to get a more realistic
figure on weight gain due to design differences. The 50-55 Nash Rambler
should only be compared to the 58-63 -- they are virtually the same car.
64-69 American to the Hornet is a more reasonable comparison also, since
the Hornet is a bit smaller than the 69. I think you'll find that they
are about the same weight though. Scaling down doesn't always produce a
lighter vehicle, just more cramped.