[AMC-List] Rebel Story & $40 gallon gas

This is actually a dumb Rebel story. The gas gauge on my 68 Rebel
convertible "Machine" has been slightly off since the 1980s. So I keep what
shows 1/4 tank in it, and anything below that, I go fill again. After a
really foggy night and this morning, heavy 1/4 mile visibility here in
Houston, I drove the Rebel loaded with boxes to ship out at the USPS. Ho ho
ho. My plan was to ship out those items, then head down I-10 feeder to
Kirkwood, grab something to eat, go to bank, get back in time to meet Paige
who would head to work, and watch the kids.

In the 8 track (what? You don't have one in YOUR AMC???) was Foreigner and
right in middle of 'The Damage Is Done' as I approched Kirkwood on the
heavily construction zone of I-10 corridor the Rebel died. I quickly shoved
in nuetral and coasted while trying to restart. It turned over but sounded
like out of gas, not some of the other sounds one gets used to when driving
a AMC in 2006.

I coasted into the mud and got out, as I was out of traffic. The first thing
I thought was if I am out of gas, I am only a block from a Shell station on
the south side of I-10; the Chevron was razed months ago however for
widening I-10. Another problem I guess would be getting across the three
lane feeder road as it is like playing a game of Frogger and I would have to
be a otter doing so.

So I walked to Shell, and picked out a small gas can, and asked for $2 of
gas. It was $10.63. Yow, can I have a tube of KY with that! The damned gas
can was almost $8 dollars. More on it later. I went out and got my $2 of
gas, and got across the lanes again. some of the 18 wheeler guys and crane
operators had now gather around the car checking it out. Lots of nice
comments. I told them I would have it moved shortly as I only 'think' I had
run out of gas.

The gas can is a work of art. This is the stupidest gas can I have ever seen
since I got my driver's license. While the gas can is regular red plastic
looking universal type, the nozzle is the real piece of work here. The gas
can is made by Midwest Can Company, Melrose Park Illinois. It touts itself
as a 'spill proof system' and had this goofy spring loaded nozzle. So you
are supposed to push down on the nozzle to make th gas flow while holding
this 1 gal 4 oz container, all the while pushing down on a black nozzle
thing you slide over the main nozzle. This is by far the stupidest
configuration I have ever seen. And I wasted abuot $1.40 of my $2 gas as it
leaked like a sive to boot. The spring in it is very tight. It looks like I
will be washing out this and sending it to them in Chicago, as it sure as
hell ain't worth $8 + change!

I saved some gas to drop down the carb, and it fired up. Died. Dropped more
gas, fired up, died. I did this about 5 times, wished I had done it about 10
however, but battery was starting to get low trying to crank over that
powerful 401.

So I left gas can in front of car, and walked back to Shell and got on the
pay phone. You remember pay phones don't you? I figured since I live less
than 2 miles away might be able to get a free tow from the Houston Safe
Clear program, so called 311. After 5 minute wait they told me that only
applies to freeways, NOT feeder roads. Darn and it was now about 9:00 and I
had not had any coffee yet. There was a wrecker driver about 3 feet from me
while I was on the phone, as he was filling out some other paperwork. So I
hug up, and asked him if he does stray tows.

Yes, the fee is $85, but since you said you live 2 miles only $60 for you my
humble friend. Aw, ok, let's go. We drove thru and around Paige Barrels
(that is the actual name of the orange and white 55 gal barrels along the
freeways, it is the name of the company, not named after my wife who
commonly smashes into them) but we backed up to the Rebel, he dropped the
rollback, hooks, and it was on and he gave me a ride to the house.

After the car dropped in driveway, I paid him then decided to try turning it
over again. First however a peek down carb to see if it getting ags. It was.
Hmm...maybe that fuel pump was not out, maybe points or something else. I
poured a little gas down the carb, and it cranked, then died. More gas down
carb, cranked and it ran great. So it was only out of gas. I wished I had
tried to torun it over a few more times over there when it was under I-10 in
the mud, however, the battery was getting low, and of course, you have
248,000 cars passing by you on I-10, so not a good place to have hood up
troubleshooting.

The Safe Clear program Houston has is if your car breaks down on a freeway a
wrecker mysteriously appears and tows it. It is mandatory city ordinance
tow, so you get the bill unless it is 2-3 miles, then just tip the driver,
otherwise about $75-$100.
Anyhows, the Rebel is fine, except it has about 2 gallons of gas in it, and
each gallon cost me $40 a gallon this morning.

The I-10 construction mentioned is ongoing and the most expensive in Texas'
history. When finished, it will be 24 lanes. That is right, 24 lanes. Sort
of like a Texas sized game of Frogger on steroids. To see more, even though
it makes it sound like Chuck E. Cheese singing 'we are the world' ad
nauseum, go to www.katyfreeway.org I live near Section G which is the Sam
Houston Tollway/Beltway 8 @ I-10 on the west side. Lots of barrels. My own
record for sending one flying is about 30 yeards though.
Eddie Stakes
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825