[AMC-List] Re Headliner adhesive

My '64 Typhoon project includes a couple of possibly salvageable headliners.  IF I can get one of them to clean up pretty well, I'd love to be able to save it for the restored car.  However, the backing is of a fiberglass padding, which almost resembles a Pillsbury (sp) bisquit;  very flaky.  Does anyone know a way to salvage that?  Can it be sprayed with the 3M stuff, for instance, and compressed back to a pad?