Re: [AMC-List] New look at an old car

" My 63 American with auto had 3.15 gears stock, 3.31 as the

3.15?!?  that's an amc20 ratio...
---------------------

Aw heck! I was going from memory! Must have been 2.87 or 3.08 stock, now
I'll have to look it up!! ;>

I do know it had 3.31 gears though, and they were listed as
"performance" gears - what performance you can get from a stock 1V 196
w/auto trans. I changed to the 2V later, and a new cam livened it up at
cruising speed, but nothing can help a 196 for off the line performance.
Maybe if the intake could be opened up more, but I doubt it. I tried a
3.78 gear set out of an OD car once. All hat did was push my cruising
rpm up. 0-70 stayed the same according to crude stop watch timing over a
marked run. Might have got a tenth or two, but not worth the cruise
loss.