Re: [AMC-List] bad bearing

A: Frank must be a little distracted this AM. I'm sure he meant FILL plug in
the cover of the Model 15. The Model 20's fill plug changed design several
times (same thread AFAIK) from square drive external to square drive
internal (use a ratchet or extension of the correct size) to allen (hex)
internal to torx internal (on the only Model 20 in a '90 Grand Wagoneer I
ever saw)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List]  bad bearing
To: <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought it might be a tubular shaft with no center bearing!
The solid
and two piece ones do have a center bearing -- at least I'm
pretty sure
the two piece does (know for a fact the solid does). It's rare
that the
center bearing goes out since it's protected from the elements.

You'll have to pull an axle and get the number off the outer
bearing.
Then match the number. The chain stores MIGHT have a bearing
number
cross reference, but a bearing and drive supply WILL (look in
yellow
pages under bearings and drives). If there are no bearing and
drive
supplies in Lawton KS try a NAPA. They deal with a lot of
industrial
customers and are more likely to be able to do something for
you.

I'm reasonably sure you have an AMC 15. It will have the drain
plug in
the rear cover. An AMC 20 has no plug in the cover -- it's in
the front
of the housing center section.