Re: [AMC-List] SJ Axle width?

The Explorer 8.8" has been successfully used in Javelins and, is closer
to the right width for big cars. Even 1/2" narrower would have helped
when I ran an XJ axle w/3-3/4" backset 7" wheels! It's tough to find a
7" wheel with a deeper backset than that. You need something with more
like 4-1/4" backset to use the XJ axle, 3-3/4" (w/7" wheel) would work
much better with the Explorer axle. The only thing I could find with
enough backset for my stock width Jaguar XJ6 axle (88, but all Jag
XJ6/12/S axles are the same width) was a Weld Drag Lite. They come in
just about any backset you can think of in 1/2" increments. I ended up
running 7" wheels with a 5.5" backset. I run the same on the front, but
have the spindles spaced out from the steering knuckle about 3/4" (+3/8"
from the disc brake caliper bracket -- just over an inch). Even then I
needed 1/8" spacers to keep the wheels from scrubbing the a-arms.