[AMC-List] Copyright/copyleft/GNU license? (pertaining to AMC info files

[AMC-List] Copyright/copyleft/GNU license? (pertaining to AMC info files)

" I can look around for an appropriate copyright boilerplate if
" you like, one that would acknowledge you as the compiler, allow
" community sharing and updating, and prevent commercial parasites.

"something like the gnu copyleft?  that might be too restrictive, but
it's the right general direction."

----------------------
As noted, you can't copyright public information, what you're
copyrighting is the exact format. If someone gets some of the info from
your source that's fine, as long as they reformat it there's nothing you
can do. If ALL they do is reformat, you could claim copyright
infringement. You'd most likely win unless they can come up with another
source that didn't originate from your info.

I generally put a statement similar to the statement below at the top of
my articles for the internet. Of course I've changed it over the years
-- some statements aren't as elaborate (some have no mention of AIM, and
use my name instead of FARNA Systems).  This particular one was meant
for serial/VIN code and engine code information. I didn't want anyone
changing the info without letting me know because there is some
confusing data that I had to sort through to figure it all out, and I'm
relatively certain it's 99% correct. One data point of confusion is that
the engine code letter for the VIN and Engine Day Build Code isn't
always the same, but people generally think they are because a few
actually match -- but most don't.

"NOTE: The following article is copyright 2001 by FARNA Systems,
publisher of "American Independent Magazine" (AIM), which covers AMC and
related vehicles. For more information about AIM see the website linked
at the end of this article. Permission has been granted this site to
display this document intact (including this statement) with no
alterations unless approved by FARNA Systems. If anyone suspects an
error please do not make corrections, contact farna@xxxxxxxx"

Sometimes I just use this simpler statement (or something similar), or
add the last line to the above so others may copy and post the file:

" This article copyright Frank Swygert, 2006. It may be freely copied
and posted as long as it is kept intact and no charge is made for the
information."

And sometimes add: "..., and the copyright holder is notified." --- just
so I'll know where the file is being used. I started putting the notice
on when I found a few copies of articles I wrote for the 'net on sites
that didn't give me credit as the source. I generally don't mind copying
something I posted somewhere as long as it's on a free site, but I do
want credit for my work. I just let the posters know it was mine and
asked that they put my credit info up or remove the file -- all put the
credit on. Most stated they received the file from someone who didn't
include the source,  and never doubted that. Anyone can copy and paste!