[AMC-List] bad bearing... somewhere...

well, tonight, i tore the rearend all apart. pulled both axle shafts, carier, greased all the bearings. no bad bearings in the rear axle. now the rear is moving VERY smoothly, and quietly. the noise seems to be coming from the torque tube. maybe the middle of it. is there a bearing in there? im sure there is a u-joint right there on the back of the transmission right? being enclosed in there, is there a way it could have dried out? or how much of a pain is that to replace. im kinda puzzled now. i have been so stinking busy, i havent had time to actually sit down and look at my tsm very well. i guess maybe i will just have to MAKE some time to go thru it.

  by chance, there is no one on here that has a set of 3.55 or so gears for that model 15 tt axle is there? if i could get a 35 gear and carier to fit in there, would i be able to change it over to one piece axles and would it be strong enough to keep behind the 304? maybe work without that torque tube with the new pinion?

  dave stohler