[AMC-List] 360 Rebuild

My son and I get to rebuild our first engine.  The 360 in his Matador is
having major problems.  Driving home the other day he had a dramatic loss of
power and starting leaking and burning a lot of oil.  He had to add several
quarts of oil to get home.  The motor now has a lot of blow-by.  It popped
off the oil fill cap several times.

We did a compression test yesterday.  Most of the cylinders are about 90 lbs.
One was 35, and one was 0.  Anyone have suggestions on a plan of attack?  I'm
thinking of pulling the motor, and pulling the head on the side with the dead
cylinder.  I'm thinking I should be able to tell if it's the valves or the
piston.  Is there a better way to do this?

We picked up a 304 from a wrecked Javelin that we plan to put in temporarily.
This is from a car that we know was running before it was wrecked.  Is there
anything we should check before we install the motor?  I've been thinking
that we could run a crude compression by turning the motor by hand.  This
should alert us to any major problems.

Todd