Re: [AMC-List] bad bearing... somewhere...

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, d stohler wrote:

> in the rear axle. now the rear is moving VERY smoothly, and
> quietly. the noise seems to be coming from the torque tube. maybe
> the middle of it. is there a bearing in there? im sure there is a
> u-joint right there on the back of the transmission right? being

It's a weird looking system... !

There's a CV joint (two U-joint X's) up at the trans end,
a sealed/un-lubeable bearing in the middle, and a splined
slip coupler in the rear. I think the center bears are still
available. They're under no real force (they keep the solid
portion of the driveshaft centered, is all), the one in my
Rambler is 350,000+ miles and still silent.

Check out the TSM; there's differences in the shaft, six
vs. eight.