Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic 6 rear axle id

A: Someone has given the axles the wrong terminology (A Dana/Spicer 53 is almost identical to a Dana 60 and not a Model 20). AFAICT, the Model 15 and Dana 35 share even the carrier. At least later models did (I took pics of the D35C cast into the housing of an '88 Eagle wagon's rear axle, but it still had 2 piece axle shafts). It may be possible the Model 15 is a Dana 27A (I found only 1 ebay picture so far and the listing ended so the big picture was gone) As for gearing, 3.54 is the most common one out there in XJs. They practically give them away! (I've received quite a few 3.07 axles for free so far and I just sold a D35 with 3.54 trac lok for $50)

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] 62 classic 6 rear axle id
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

at the carquest i go to, they actually have OLD books they look
in. no it was not under jeep. i was looking at the book with
her. dona is very good at gettin me the hard to find parts. it
says spicer 53, and 27A. thats all. for gaskets, and bearings.
they had the gasket in stock that looks like it is the right
one. i have yet to put the diff cover gasket on to find out for
sure. 10 bolts on the cover and kinda oval looking if this helps
in id any. oval as in left right oblong instead of up and down
oblong. even www.partsamerica.com says the spicer axles. parts
america is who advance auto and autozone, schucks, kragar and
checker auto parts all go thru. says the 53 has a 9.25" ring
gear, and the 27A has a 7.2" ring gear. would i be safe maybe to
guess it is the 27A? i have yet to find anything in parts that
says "amc model 15". grr, this is getting confusing. am i safe
to guess that the 27A with the smaller gear,  might be the
littler axle used in the 6 cyl? its a 6cyl
manual. no od. also, frank said that the 35 grew from the amc
15. would it be possible that 35 gears might be able to be
adapted into the 15, if thats even what i have? im coming out
with the gears being 9/34 turning into 3.77 g.r. wouldnt mind
getting like a 3.50 or so. just a little more highway friendly.
maybe not even worry about it now if im going to be swapping it
out any time soon.

 dave stohler