Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic 6 rear axle id

Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic 6 rear axle id

Gears from a D35 will fit an AMC 15 -- except for maybe yours
(naturally!!). The torque tube axles (and American "big nut" driveshaft
axles, through 65 with 196/199 powered Americans) have a different
pinion shaft than the open drive axles. Now comes the tricky part! I
haven't actually measured the shafts. I THINK the torque tube splined
part of the AMC 15 pinion shaft is a little smaller in diameter and
longer than the open drive type. You'd have to pull the u-joint yoke off
a D35 on an XJ Cherokee and see if it fits the AMC15 TT axle, and if it
does measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the seal. Length
can be +/- about 1/4" and still fit, I think. There's some room in the
slip joint for the TT driveshaft.

As I stated before, you could have a Spicer axle, but I'm not certain.
Pull the bearings and use the numbers. Any shop/parts store should be
able to get the bearings in a couple days for the Spicer or AMC axles. I
replaced AMC15 outer bearings and races just a couple years ago and they
were still being made and easy to get. If the parts store can't get
them, a bearing and drive supply can. They will need the number to cross
reference.

The 196 used a lower gear ratio way back then because there really
weren't any roads to cruise at high speeds on. Grades were steeper too,
and the lower gears helped the small engine (by today's standards, it
was only adequate back then!) move the big car well. The 196 isn't a
high speed engine design. It doesn't do well at high speeds, and will
use a bit of oil when pushed a lot. I ran one for 14 years as a daily
driver in an American. 800 miles on a quart of oil is typical when
driving at 65-75 mph for long trips. You would be better off with a 3.31
or 3.55 axle. 3.78 gears were generally used with OD trannys in later
years. My 63 American with auto trans had 3.31 gears, but they were the
optional "performance" gears. Shouldn't be to hard to find a used set of
gears if not a complete axle. Your TSM should state what stock and
optional gears were in the rear axle section (last few pages of the
section IIRC).

-----------------
Date: Monday, November 27, 2006 12:11 AM
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

at the carquest i go to, they actually have OLD books they look in. no
it was
not under jeep. i was looking at the book with her. dona is very good at
gettin
me the hard to find parts. it says spicer 53, and 27A. thats all. for
gaskets,
and bearings. they had the gasket in stock that looks like it is the
right one.
i have yet to put the diff cover gasket on to find out for sure. 10
bolts on
the cover and kinda oval looking if this helps in id any. oval as in
left right
oblong instead of up and down oblong. even www.partsamerica.com says the
spicer
axles. parts america is who advance auto and autozone, schucks, kragar
and
checker auto parts all go thru. says the 53 has a 9.25" ring gear, and
the 27A
has a 7.2" ring gear. would i be safe maybe to guess it is the 27A? i
have yet
to find anything in parts that says "amc model 15". grr, this is getting
confusing. am i safe to guess that the 27A with the smaller gear,  might
be the
littler axle used in the 6 cyl? its a 6cyl
 manual. no od. also, frank said that the 35 grew from the amc 15. would
it be
possible that 35 gears might be able to be adapted into the 15, if thats
even
what i have? im coming out with the gears being 9/34 turning into 3.77
g.r.
wouldnt mind getting like a 3.50 or so. just a little more highway
friendly.
maybe not even worry about it now if im going to be swapping it out any
time
soon.