Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic rear axle id

A: I'm not at work so I'll have to make do with http://www.Napaonline.com for the lookup. It says BR6 for the axle bearings (doesn't quite sound right to me but someone can verify. I don't recall that number having a race lock to keep the axle in) It also says NOS (Napa Oil Seal) 12582 for the inner seal and 12685 for the outer. it's neither a Spicer 27A or Spicer/Dana 53 (which is made of obsoletum) which are Jeep axles (wonder how they migrated to the Rambler page?)

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] 62 classic rear axle id
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

i am trying to get new bearings for my rear end in my 62
classic. there is a parts store in town that has some in stock
and can get the rest. problem is, they say there are 2 different
rearends for that car. none i have heard of. people on here say
it is an amc model 15. the book at carquest says there is a
spicer 53, and a spicer 27A. one has a 7.25" ring gear, and the
other has a 9.something ring gear. i havent yet had a chance to
measure my ring gear to see. but it has bearings and seals that
seem to make it look like there are actually 4 different axles.
i have the 196, and 3 speed manual. the tab on the diff cover
says 9/34. in my tsm that shows a gear ratio so im pretty sure
that means it is the 3.77 rear. but what the axle tells me, and
what the book at carquest tells me is coming up different. they
show one rearend from like 58-62, and the other is like 61-63 or
somethin i think. anyway, some help would be great. i need to
pull the axle shafts out to have the
bearings pressed off, but would be great if i knew what i have
before hand so i can have the parts ordered if needed so i can
get it all done in one afternoon. they have a machineshop in the
back of the carquest so they can do it all for me real quick and
easy there.

 hope everyone is havin a great thanksgiving weekend.

 dave stohler