Re: [AMC-List] ebay jav #1 amc dealer in america

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Archimedes wrote:

> I've been thinking about trying to set up an "archive of dealers"
> page.  There is one that's been passed around the 'Net (
> http://amcrc.com/tech/dealer.html ) , but it kinda disturbed me that the
> person who assembled it was claiming copyright.

In the US, data itself cannot be copyrighted. A particular
publication of data can be copyrighted (eg. I print my own
phonebook).

There's a gray area in there, where if you simply copy dat out
line by line of a phonebook, say, without changing anything,
making a virtually identical copy... if you re-juggled all the
columns, or arranged by street, etc you'd make it unique. But
telco's put fake phoenbook data in, for example, that you would
only get if you copied the data out of their book.

One snapshot of that URL:

CALIFORNIA

ALHAMBRA
91801, Jim Marino Imports, Inc., Renault, 1333 Main St. (213) 570-0000

AUBURN
95603, Mc Laughlin Sales, AMC/Jeep/Renault, Hwy 49 & Luther Box 1227 (916) 823-6591

If you read all the data from the page, electronically, and put
it into a spreadsheet, and re-published it with modifications
and enhancements, you would be perfectly legal.

He gives credit to others for data preovided, and it's in another
format (our ex-own Gwen Smith).

Probably (BALD-FACED GUESS, I did not ask him/her) the author
wants to prevent someone from printing out and selling their
hard-earned work. I wouldn't blame them.

There are copyright texts that can give limited and carefully
restricted rights hat allow people like us to copy, "own"
and enhance the work without allowing us to sell it at a
profit. Creative Commons and variants for example. All variants
are offshoots of GNU and open source work. These are the right
way to handle data that you want to be "owned" by a community,
but prevent from bein ripped off or locked up by unscrupulous
sh*ts.