[AMC-List] Bouncing Speedo fix

Regarding the bouncing speedo problem, it is caused by the speedo drive wire being not properly seated at either the tranny end or the speedo end which causes the wire within the sheathing to bind on the sheathing as is spins from the tranny gear.  I have had this same simptom too many times to recall in my 35+ years of AMC ownership and th fix is to disconnect the speedo cable from the back fo the speedometer, pull the internal wire out a couple of inches from the sheating and rotate it before inserting back into the sheathing so that it is aligned properly with the gear on the tranny end of the cable.  Then reinsert back into the speedo and keep your fingers crossed that everything is aligned so the the innner wire no longer binds on the exterior sheating.

I recently had to pull my speedo to the wires on the back of the tach and when I put it back in the needle was bouncing badly between 20 and 30 and had a slight wiggle above 50.  After disconnecting, rotating and reconnecting the cable a couple of times as described above, everything worked as it had before I pulled the speedo so just keep on trying and you will end up with the corret alignment of ends of the internal wire, tranny gear and at the speedo gauge gear.
--
Best Regards,
Dan Curtis