Re: [AMC-List] 1987 360 and 72 232

Butch, I'm just confirming the info that Andrew and the others gave you about the 87 360. You can bolt a Borg Warner trans (58-71) flexplate or flywheel to a Torque Flite (72-91 for AMC) crank. The center hole may need to be made bigger to fit the 72+ crank though. you will also need to make sure the centering pin/shaft on the Borg Wraner torque converter fits in the pilot hole of the crank. That can be accomplished with a custom made pilot bushing. I'm not sure if you can buy one that will work, but may be able to. Check Jeep applications as well as AMC car apps. You can't go the other way (TF to BW crank) without a special adapter.

1941-71 AMC sixes use a smaller diameter bell housing than 1972 and later. Different bolt patterns -- so the early trans won't fit the later engines. You can switch bell housings though. Andrew answered this as well. As above, you shouldn't need a crank adapter, but may have to work on the flexplate. For the American the easiest thing to do is use the Gremlin transmission as well. The American uses an open driveshaft, not a torque tube like the 66 and earlier big cars. You will have to modify the trans crossmember to mount the newer trans and have the driveshaft modified, but that should be cheaper and easier than adapting the transmission. On the torque tube cars it's a bit harder because you have to change the entire rear suspension to use an open driveshaft.
--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"