Re: [AMC-List] amc windshields

Dave, and anyone installing one of these old windshields --
1. Mac McCoy (e-mail ramblers@xxxxxxxxxxx) has the gaskets, so do a few other AMC vendors.
2. READ THE TSM ON INSTALLING THE GLASS!! A little sealer should be applied in the channel the glass goes in AND to the body where the gasket seats against it. A lot of "professional" windshield installers don't put sealer in the channel the glass goes in. If you don't, it will likely leak. I had mine installed by a pro, but had to take it out and reseal a few weeks later because it leaked!
3. I usually use a thin bead of clear silicone in bopth areas. The excess (and you will get some on the outside of the gasket) cleans right off with a rag dampened with mineral spirits.
4. These aren't hard to put in, just a little messy. Put the channel on the glass, then run a string in the channel that goes on the body with the end s meeting in the middle at the bottom. A little masking tape will hold the strings in and the string will cut the tape when necessary.  Put some sealer on the body where the rubber will sit, then set the windshield with gasket attached on the bottom channel with the lip over the edge and the ends of the string inside the car. Lean the windshield back against the car (won't go all the way) then gently pull the strings. This "flips" the rubber lip over the metal edge. Some silicone will get on this lip, that's what you will need to wipe off before it cures. Have some popsicle sticks or similar wood pieces to work the rubber where needed to keep from cutting it or scratching the paint.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"