Re: [AMC-List] Weird non-running issue with '82 Jeep CJ SOLVED!

Re: [AMC-List] Weird non-running issue with '82 Jeep CJ SOLVED!

Well, I think I have it pinned.

Following are the various suggestions I received over the last week
from CJ-8.com, CJOffroad.com, the AMC List, and others, and my
findings:

* A huge vacuum leak: Nope. Manifolds tight to head, thanks to Stage 8
locking fasteners. Gave em a snuggin' anyway, but they didn't move
much. Manifold gaskets intact. Gaskets on the carb side are intact, and
new  gaskets are used each time the carb comes off. Carb is tight, and
recently deep-cleaned and rebuild kitted. Compression ranges from
150-160 cold. EGR valve doesn't work, but it's securely closed and is
tightly mounted with a new gasket. All vacuum ports in the intake are
capped.

* Timing issue: Nope. The non-running problem persists regardless of
timing, but ignition spark is strong and blue-white at .050" gap. I may
pull the distributor again to re-verify #1 TDC and ensure the mech
weights haven't stuck open or closed, but I was just in the dist
recently to clean and lube the weights, and didn't have a problem
putting it all back the way it was.

* Carb (MC2100) dirty: Nope. I have cleaned the carb three times now,
with another rebuild kit. All tiny holes were cleared with copper wire,
carb cleaner, and compressed air. All gaskets are new. 16" power valve
is new and intact. Manual choke operates properly. No excessive leakage
at throttle shaft, shaft rotates smoothly. All vacuum ports tightly
capped. Air cleaner on/off during testing makes no difference.

So, you may ask, where does the "solved" part of it come in? In spite
of all the suggestions, my initial suspicion was correct: it was the
carb, after all.
On the 18th, I swapped the Weber 32/36 from the wife's '82 CJ-7 on to
my CJ-8, with new adapter gaskets. It fired up on the first try, and
ran smoothly, with no bobbling or hesitation off-idle (the MC2100's
problem area), all the way up to 3500 RPM.
I took the Weber off and installed an old stepper-equipped Carter BBD a
guy on the CJ-8.com site sent to me. It was dirty inside and out,
carbon-coated in the throat and grimy on the outside. After filling the
float bowl, it fired right up- actually startled me a bit, as I
expected it wouldn't run at all. It had a serious problem idling (I
chalked that up to dirty idle tubes), but was strong and steady from
off-idle to 3500 RPM.
The Carter has since been soaked for 10 hours in Berryman's Carb Dip,
all ports cleaned with toothbrush, copper wire, and compressed air. I
plan to drill the idle tubes out to .035" (an idle improvement
suggested by several sites chronicling the BBD rebuild), and cap the
air ports to the stepper motor with JB Weld and set screws, so I can
remove and block off the stepper motor port.
I may inspect, re-clean, and try the MC2100 again, but I don't hold out
much hope. For right now, I'm going to finish the BBD and install that,
and maybe work on getting another Weber. I know many people have
claimed the MC2100 is the best thing since electronic ignition for the
258, but I remain unconvinced, at least of the unit I received.

Thanks to all for the suggestions,
Nick