Re: [AMC-List] combination valve

> From: Wayne E LaMothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [AMC-List] combination valve
> To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I am trying to trace a problem in the brakes on my 83 Eagle.  I
> am
> getting premature (very) rear wheel lockup when braking.
> EVERYTHING but
> the combo valve is new.  My questions are these:
>
> 1.  Is this a bendix or kelsey hayes valve?
>
> 2.  Is there a centering pin?  There seems to be but it does not
> move so
> I think it is sending all the braking to the rear wheels.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> Thanks
> Wayne

Wayne, the valve has to be centered. If it swings to one side it will
block that side from receiving fluid, or at least cut it way down.
Sounds like that's your problem. I forget the procedure to center it.
There's a 73 AMC TSM on-line at www.tocp.com (search the site for AMC
manual) that will have the procedure. If you bled the brakes that can
cause the switch to trip. You're supposed to do something to disable
the switch when bleeding -- something those of use with older cars
usually forget about!

It's a standard GM combo valve as far as I can determine. Master Power
Brakes (www.mpbrakes.com) sells replacements as universal hot rod
items. I think the one they sell is valved for a Camaro, which should
be right for all the small AMCs anyway. AMC used two different
pressures -- 400 psi for Rebel/Matador/Ambo, 200 psi for everything
else.