From: "Neil Shaw" <n.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "The List (E-mail)" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 6:02 AM
Subject: [AMC-List] Door Twisting

> Can a door that is not lining up at the latch end be twisted into
> alignment? The drivers door on the Javelin lines up good at the hinge end
> but is about 1/4" in at the top and 1/4" out at the bottom at the latch
> (rear) end of the door. (So if you line up the top edge correctly, the
> bottom is out 1/2".) All the other body panels line up well.
> Thanks,
> Neil Shaw
> '72 Javelin SST
|\
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:48:08 -0500
From: tbenvie@xxxxxx (thomas m. benvie)
Subject: Some answers

 -------------
Hinges-just did a set on my brothers Eagle SX4. worn so badly they had to
be replaced-actually wore away the scuff molding. Some advice on adjusting
doors-the best way to do this job is to take the striker off the car. This
will eliminate the "lift" often found when the door rides over the striker.
To move the door up and down, loosen the hinge where it attaches to the
body. to move it in and out, loosen the hinge where it attaches to the
door. I used to have my students adjust the door before the fender was
installed, without the striker, and with the door weatherstripping
installed. Just had two guys align the door-to the rear quarter and the
top of the rocker. Tighten the bolts and open and close a few times-this
even eliminates the bottom corner sticking out on the AMX. A lot of people
think it is caused by a twisted door, but it is not. Install the striker
so the door closes easily. If it binds, put some white grease on it, and
look at the area marked by the door when closing. This will show you if
you have to adjust the striker up or down. Remember to keep track of the
shims behind the striker, as some cars are all not the same. If your
striker is worn, take one off of the rear of a 4 door car-hardly ever worn.
Also, the AMXs had a spring style striker, the later cars had a urethane
bushing.
I mentioned the best way to align a door is with the fender off. The next
step for assembly would be to align the hood to the cowl-even gap along the
whole back, level with the top of the cowl. Then install the fender-align
to the side of the hood, then the front of the door. AMXs had a small tack
weld where the fender meets the top of the rocker. Most people forget to
do this, and it is a sure give away the fender may have been replaced.

|\------