Re: [AMC-List] Numb3rs

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Mahoney, John wrote:

> 611 AMC listers?  Wasn't it ~750 at the last report?
> I remember when there were 1200!

Yes and no... there were 1200 or so email addresses in the
list, back when it was on Jim's site, but 600+ of them were
dead addresses -- undeliverable, non-existent, etc. The new software
actually prunes the list of deaders, notifies people of problems
automatically, etc.

In fact, if you recall, after the switchover, we actually
gained BACK members that for whatever reason weren't getting
mail from the old system (it would occasionally forget to send
you postings).

> Only 10% seem to do the heavy lifting.  Wonder where AMC's going?  Or where it's gone?

That 10% or so active participation is like Planck's Constant;
consistent across the known email universe, all lists all
subjects, since time immemorial (early 1980's :-)