[AMC-List] Numb3rs

611 AMC listers?  Wasn't it ~750 at the last report?  I remember when there were 1200!

Only 10% seem to do the heavy lifting.  Wonder where AMC's going?  Or where it's gone?

>>number of 79/80 Pacer Wagon Limited that were produced

Without an archeological expedition, off the top of my head, I think only about 2000 (of 7352) '79 Pacer Limited wagons were built; fewer than 600 of them with 304s.  The actual number of '80 Limited wagons (of 1341 wagons sold) may be unknown.

" There's no way in bloody fubar that a Furd v8 is half the weight
" of any other v8 motor, ay em cee or otherwise. It's a baseless
" argument-starting falsehood.

i agreee, mostly.  the amc and small ford v8s aren't that far apart in
weight, maybe 50 lbs.

brace yourself.  from the late '60s, the buick 350 is down below 500
lbs dressed, whereas the iron-head 426 hemi is nearly 850.  afaik
these are the extremes.  [btw buick also had the lightest big block]

there is ~100 lbs difference between sbc and bbc, ~550 and ~650 lbs.
likewise between the small ford v8 and 429/460.  the fe weighs ~750,
the chevy stovebolt 6 does too, and so does the gm 6.2/6.5 diesel.
<<

The discussion of engine weight needs a little adjustment. The AMC 390 is about 85-100 lbs lighter than engines such as the 396, 389 & 428. The 390 & 401 are heavier than 290-360 due to much heavier webbing. The small block Ford is much lighter than a big block Ford and could be significantly lighter than even a 304; but not by 50%. Cleveland engines and the 351 windsor are heavier than 221-260-289-302 engines but still lighter than FE or 385 Ford; The 385 is heavier than the FE. To my knowledge, the 426 hemi cylinder head weighs as much as two AMC heads. Buick small blocks are about 50 lbs lighter than an sbc and they are notorious for cracks in the block and head. The only advantage a 302 ford could have, besides being slightly lighter than a 304-360, is the roller lifter tappet found in later model blocks and the availabilty of FI. Even so, the 360 has 20% more displacement and the stock dogleg head is better than any stock sbf head with the exception of the Boss / Clevel!
 and head.
     When people insist that Ford made the 390 or that Mopar made the 360, I respond with: "that's why AMCs are so slow!"; Do not make this statement unless one is beyond the reach of the idiot.
Seth Gordon
68 AMX; 390-4spd w/Rally Pac

<<

(Why was this linked, not posted?  It wasn't a real attachment and it was really hard --- all stretched out in one line of text --- to read.)

Ford F/J/G 302s weighed 475 lbs; the "Boss" G was 25 lbs heavier due to its larger Cleveland heads (and the 351 Cleveland "Boss" weighed 550.)  A "generic" '60s-'70s Chevy SB weighed ~575; big block Marks weighed ~620 to nearly 690*, but AMC Gen-3s weighed as little as 540 --- down from Kenosha's first ['56] V-8 of 601 lbs.  While Buick's "little" 350 weighed only 450 lbs, Rover's [ex-Buick] 3.5L V-8 weighed as little as 320 --- 45 more than Vega's also-aluminum I-4!

(*so the ZL-1 weighed 100+ lbs fewer...)

http://www.firstgen.com/traco-ing.htm

The 304/302 thing brings to mind a wonderful --- albeit long: too long for anyone here to want to read --- 40-years-ago-this-coming-week tale involving Ford and AMC.  If there's time, I'll type it; if not, well, that's the way it goes with AMC.  Don't you wish you had an All-AMC-Clubs magazine that every AMC fan wanted to buy, study, and keep?

you can build a twin turbo AMC six for about the same price
as the Supra engine, and would be a lot easier to install!

And if you know where to look, you can build it in a body built to look like what AMC could have sold.  I can't understand why AMC fans haven't done that yet.  I can't understand why AMC has built so few "replicars" still.

Mine shows no signs that it's been taken off, yet I've seen
   pictures of same year and model with the trim.    Anyone know the
   story behind this, was it a package back then?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/johnnyzoom/ramblerstart.jpg

the "plain jane" models usually had no side trim. I believe the
trim levels were "Deluxe" (no side trim), "Super" (some side trim), and
"Custom" (a little more trim). Of course trim in the interiors went up
with the levels. Note that I may have "Super" and "Custom" in reverse
order -- going from memory here! I do know that the "Deluxe" was
anything but -- it was the base model.
<<

One-on-one answers are fine and dandy, but what about the big auto show?

Consult the manufacturer's original documentation; get the answers fast.

It's too bad AMC fans can't COOPERATE on scanning; there's a better way.

Go to the horse's mouth: not the horse's, well, you know.  Will the AMC hobby EVER get off its, well, you know, to make the most of its talent and resources by pooling both to accomplish something really great?  Why isn't this sort of info

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B16245.jpg

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/H1307.jpg
http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/H1307-2.jpg

http://www.plan59.com/wagons/wagons067.htm
http://www.plan59.com/wagons/wagons065.htm

organized a click away on an -AMC- website?

Or is that as secret as AMC engine weights?

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/enginespecs.htm

It's almost 2007.  What are you waiting for?

AMC to be a -HUNDRED- and twenty years dead?