Re: [AMC-List] Speaking of Turbos

And doing a little noodling

SNIP
Leave the American rails by cutting the inner wheel wells off about an
inch above the ral (make sure you leave the spot welds and a little
extra) then bracing with 1" tubing. Use the lower control arms and
crossmember from the American, and install struts (aftermarket early
mustang kit or a modified Volvo or 280ZX strut) to eliminate the upper
control arms. The upper strut mounts should clear the turbo, the upper
control arm mounts are mostly in the way.
SNIP

This would be one approach, another would be to install Mustang II
package such as is being proposed that would end up with an upper and
lower control arm and coil overs. This could potentially eliminate the
spring towers completely leaving a lot of room there.

Another option would be to used some kind of a split manifold and dual
turbos so that one could be mounted forward and the other aft of the
suspension and use something like a late Concord body as they are still
somewhat easy to find. My preference at this time would be to use a
Concord Sedan 'cause if you are able to embarrass a GN it is better to
do it with a ulitarian 4 door that some thing that is cooler. Although I
would be forced to fill in those plug ugly windows in the rear sail
panel. It would also need to be treated to a weight reduction diet to
get into racing trim.

I can do a little welding so some fabrication is with in my reach. There
are plenty of turbo 2.2 Chryco K cars in junk yards for the source of 2
small turbos.

I dunno if I will ever do it, but it sure has been sitting there in the
back of my mind for a while. My parts bins keep getting filled up with
potential parts for this that seem to find their way into my garage.

I think I need to confer with Tom a bit also.
John.